A Bronx man who shot an innocent passer-by on a Brooklyn street and left the victim permanently paralyzed was sentenced to 17 years behind bars on Tuesday.
James Sanders, 35, pleaded guilty last year to attempted murder for the 2016 shooting of Jaquan Carter, who is now 23 and who came to Sanders’ sentencing in Brooklyn Supreme Court with a group of relatives.
Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Miriam Cyrulnik agreed to give Sanders the 17-year sentence if he copped to the charge. Before handing down the sentence, the judge called Sanders’ actions in the case “shocking” and “cowardly.”
“You’ll have to live the rest of your life with the knowledge of what you did that morning,” Cyrulnik said.
Sanders also heard a tearful statement from Yanira Delgado, Carter’s cousin.
“We can see in eyes that he’s sad and … he’s broken,” she said.
Sanders gave a short apology from the defense table but didn’t fully turn his head to face Carter or his family.
“I have a lot of empathy for the situation,” Sanders said. “It wasn’t supposed to happen like that. It was a mistake.”
Carter did not know Sanders prior to the Dec. 14, 2016 shooting. Carter was walking that morning to his home on Lefferts Avenue in Prospect Lefferts Gardens and first saw Sanders while he was arguing with another man, according to a release from the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office.
Carter glanced in Sanders’ direction and Sanders started to yell at him. Carter kept walking to avoid a fight, but Sanders took out a gun and fired at Carter from behind, the DA says.
Sanders was arrested weeks after shooting but police didn’t recover the weapon until a year and a half later. Police found the gun stashed at a friend of Sanders’ house and matched it to the shooting with a ballistics test.
Thanks to the Courtesy of :